When Lightning Strikes: Stay Safe Whether You’re Indoors or Outside.
Here are some quick tips to stay safe.
If you know a storm is coming, the best way to stay safe is to stay indoors. Many people might not know that lightning can travel through wires and pipes. Stay away from windows, wiring, and your indoor plumbing during the storm. A best practice is to wait 30 minutes or so after you hear the last sound of thunder.
If you’re caught outside:
- Get into a hardtop car, not an open vehicle. Close the windows. Wait out the storm.
- Avoid trees, tall objects, and anything metal, such as flagpoles, metal bleachers, golf clubs, and tall light poles.
- Avoid rivers, lakes, and swimming pools. If you are boating, head to shore.
- Avoid wide-open areas, including sports fields.
- Above all, just try to get indoors!
Stay informed during the storm, wherever you are.
We’ll inform you right away with a text including:
- Estimated restoration time
- Service crew arrival
- Number of customers affected
- Outage cause (once known)