6 Reasons to Fall in Love With the Sun
The Sun should basically be your BFF. The Sun provides essential energy through its sunlight. Without that energy, vegetation wouldn't be able to grow, and without vegetation animals do not have a source of nourishment. So maybe the Sun is the best valentine.
Here are some facts you may not know about our beloved Sun.
1. The Sun accounts for 99.86% of the mass in the solar system, which equals about 330,000 times that of Earth. It is three-quarter hydrogen and most of its remaining mass is helium.
2. If you were to fill a hollow Sun with spherical Earths, around 960,000 would fit inside. Even more impressive, if you take into account the empty space left by each of the spherical shapes, 1.3 million Earths could fit inside the Sun.
3. The energy created by the Sun’s core is nuclear fusion. This huge amount of energy is produced when four hydrogen nuclei are combined into one helium nucleus.
4. The Sun is almost a perfect sphere. Considering the sheer size of the Sun, there is only a 10 km difference in its polar and equatorial diameters – this makes it the closest thing to a perfect sphere observed in nature.
5. The Sun is a yellow dwarf star, with some pretty hot temps. It is a main sequence star with surface temperatures between 5,000 and 5,700 degrees Celsius (9,000 and 10,300 degrees Fahrenheit).
The Sun is halfway through its life. At 4.5 billion years old, it has burned off around half of its hydrogen stores. But don't worry (just yet), the Sun will continue burning hydrogen for another 5 billion years.