Entergy's Outage Safety Checklist
Even the most reliable electrical service can go off sometimes. Make sure to print this list to keep on hand in case your power goes out!
- Check and see if your neighbors have electricity. If they do, check your fuses or circuit breakers to rule out problems with electricity inside your home.
- Use a transistor radio and listen to your local radio station for updates.
- Use a flashlight when it gets dark. Avoid candles because of the fire risk.
- Unplug computers, TVs, VCRs, and other sensitive appliances. This will avoid possible damage when electricity comes back on.
- Turn off all but one of the lights that were on, so you will notice when electricity is restored.
- Turn off heat–producing appliances like electric irons and heaters to prevent fires in case no one is home when power is restored.
- Traffic lights and railroad crossings may not work. If you are in a car, remind the driver to stop, look, and listen for cross traffic.
- If you are stuck in an elevator, stay there and wait for help. Never try to climb out between floors.
- Once you’re sure there’s an outage, call Entergy at 1-800-9OUTAGE or text OUT to 368374 to report your outage.
Stay informed during the storm with Entergy's Outage Alerts.